Hello, everyone, and Happy September. It’s hard to believe that the summer months are over, though I hear that many of you back home are still in the midst of some serious humidity and heat. We’ve had some crazy weather these past few days—sometimes it’s 70 or 75 and lovely, and yesterday it was 55 and raining. This morning it rained again but now, at about 7pm, it’s much warmer and brighter. I don’t understand. The key, clothing-wise, is certainly layers. I was half-excited about the rain yesterday because I wanted to use my pretty umbrella, purchased at Milwaukee’s Bastille Days this summer, but I quickly realized that I was the only one shielding myself from the drizzle. I may as well have stamped “Transplant” on my forehead because all of the locals just put their hoods up and kept strolling. These Rain People are troopers. I must learn their ways.
| The market happens every Saturday and Sunday. It's HUGE! |
| Portland: THE Bike City of America. |
| A commonly photographed sign. |
| So pretty! Even on a chilly day. |
We had a pretty chill Saturday night and then rose early on Sunday to drive to the Oregon coast, which is rocky, chilly, and gorgeous. We went to Cannon Beach, home to one of the most famous “big rocks” (see photo) in the country. It was lovely, even on an overcast day. The sun did emerge for an hour or so, long enough to warm me while I ate my lunch and chatted on blankets in the sand with my housemates. I loved strolling the beach and watching all of the families there. The beach itself reminded me a lot of San Francisco, which reminded me of parts of Chile. Conclusion: I like Pacific beaches.
| Hilarious. Our faces are seriously hideous. Don't zoom. |
| G-Sham, minus Linds (who was freezing and in the car). |
| Not cool, Tillamook. Not cool. |
This Friday, I’m meeting with my supervisor to create a work plan for our energy assistance program. We’re going to get our fall funding soon, which marks the beginning of our “busy season.” I have a few other random responsibilities, too, like creating the list of appointments for our Legal Aid clinic each month and calling those clients who have been scheduled. I also order office supplies and help with intakes on the monthly Dental Van days. And I have a LOT of phone calls. Each day, I found out that more things are actually my responsibility. I have plenty to do now, which is good. An empty calendar makes me nervous.
I’m starting to feel like part of the EPH community. Today I helped with a Back-to-School event and a little girl, the granddaughter of one of our seniors who comes each week, spotted me and shrieked, “Grandma! That’s my friend!” because she remembered me from the previous week. At lunch, one of the viejitos--- an altogether too flirtatious sixty-something who wears his jacket unzipped and nothing underneath (a lá Disco Days)—called to me, “Hello Wisconsin!” And the elderly man I helped the other day, who, in his cute, but stubborn/negative/defiant way was like a Latino Grandpa Wolff, sought me out personally for his requests today, as if he had decided that I am the only person in our office he’s willing to tolerate. I’m still learning everyday at EPH, but it is sort of incredible how much I am already able to do and how fast my transition has been from a useless observer in a busy office to someone with several appointments each day. My job keeps me on my toes; I helped two guys with resumes today and mediated a tenant-landlord dispute (surprisingly, my angry and firm Spanish was rolling off the tongue as I advocated for a client who had been inexplicably locked out). Tomorrow I have an energy assistance appointment. I never know what to expect, which is pretty cool.
On a different note, I decided to talk to our dear support person, Crunchy, about being a volunteer for his youth ministry program at St. Henrys. Every Sunday at Mass, I hear him plead the congregation and particularly appeal to people my age who could share their faith with the teens. I waited to see what my schedule felt like but have decided that I can commit to the Wednesday night sessions youth ministry does each week. I am really excited, and so is he, so I’ll keep you posted on that.
Time to go. Crunchy and Margaret, our esteemed dinner guests, have arrived!
Special shout-outs to:
Beth Mueller: Happy Birthday! (And a belated one to Alex, too!)
Molly: for ripping open your cadaver. I’m proud of you, you B.A. Koala you.
Britt: Good luck on your first day of classes in Spain!
Aunt Peg and Aunt Vic: for your lovely mid-week emails. They brighten my day!
And love to each of you.
Amanda
Cannons (Pt. II)
September 3, 2010
I wrote that first part while on the roof before dinner on Wednesday, so I wasn’t able to publish it immediately. I thought I’d make this a two-part special and add a bit to this entry before I publish that one.
Today is Friday. Yay. We are leaving for Seattle after everyone gets home from work. We’re headed to the Northwest’s major metropolis for the weekend to celebrate Labor Day at another JV house, where we’ll also be spending tonight and tomorrow night (the evening of the party). I’m excited to visit Seattle again, especially the Pike Place Market, which I loved last time I was in the city. It will also be nice to see other communities. Beth will be there, along with many other JV houses from the area. We’re lucky that we have a car from our house headed there and were also able to snag two spots in Crunchy’s car because, as luck would have it, he and Margaret are headed that way too. We’re also staying on Baimbridge Island, accessible from the city by ferry, at Daniel’s house on Sunday evening. I’m also excited for that little detour. All in all, it sounds like a promising Labor Day weekend, and there’s always the four-day work week to be excited about as well.
| Full house! Free show! |
| Anyone who knows me knows this made my week. |
cameo from the Portland ballet (a “Sleeping Beauty” number) and the 1812 Overture as a finale, accompanied by cannons and a fireworks show! It was a beautiful, beautiful evening. I’m so glad I was able to make it to the city after work—and I’m so grateful for free shows in the park!
I’m on my lunch hour and it’s sunny and HOT outside, so I’m going to get out of this café and into the sunshine for a few minutes. I need my daily dose of Vitamin D while I can still get it naturally!
Have a restful Labor Day weekend!
Shout outs to:
Katharine and Diesel: I thought of you about a million times during the symphony.
Colleen’s mom, for sending us really delicious desserts this week.
Seattle: here we come!
Love,
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment