Sunday, March 20, 2011

Springtime (sort of)!


Hello, and Happy Spring! Well, in theory it is spring. We are still getting our fair share of rain here in the Portland area, but I do think that there is hope. Trees are beginning to bloom and we have a few roses already opening up on our rose bushes. I am hoping that we’ll start seeing more of the sun in the very near future, but my idealism is tempered a bit by natives who tell me spring may not make its official entrance until we’re well into June. Anyway, I hope that you’ve all adjusted to daylight savings (it did a number on me this year) and are feeling revitalized as the weather warms up a bit.

At Crown Point in the Gorge. Beautiful view!
I had a special visitor recently when Papa Wolff made his West Coast debut with a visit to Oregon for the weekend. I was so grateful that he overcame his serious travel anxiety to visit me, and we had a delightful time together. He arrived last Thursday evening, and I picked him up at the airport and guided us to Edgefield, where we had a delicious dinner and stayed for the night. The hotel was quaint and adorable. I’d love to go back sometime. We also had a yummy breakfast there the next day before heading off for a drive through the Columbia River Gorge. We were blessed with the best weather we’ve had in several weeks—a gorgeous sunny day! We had a decent view from Crown Point and a lot of fun stopping off at the waterfalls along the way to Multnomah Falls, our final destination. The 600+ foot drop makes the Falls the second-tallest in the United States, and it’s really a very stately scene. We took plenty of pictures of water (see Picasa site) and our faces and several photos of water and our faces together.

Multnomah Falls
Dad’s visit just so happened to coincide with the first Friday of Lent. Desperately seeking a Midwest-style fish fry (as opposed to the ones out here which employ salmon, mahi mahi, haddock, etc. instead of perch and walleye), I stumbled upon a true treasure and possibly the only establishment this side of the Mississippi where lake fish are served. So, we headed to the Corbett Fish House and Dad treated us to a delicious, delicious meal. It was such a good time. Lizzie, Jose, and Lindsay’s sister (also visiting) joined the eight of us, plus Dad, and we ate and drank our way to happiness, Wisconsin-style. I am so appreciative of both Dad and Jose for picking up that monstrous tab, and I was ecstatic about the fact that I got my Friday fish fry.

On Saturday morning, Dad and I headed out early to go to the coast. Cannon Beach is about two hours from Gresham, and the drive is beautiful because you have to go through a pass. Suddenly, once you get through the western Portland metro area, there’s snow on the ground and on the tree branches hanging over the winding road. The scenery alone makes the drive worthwhile, but Cannon Beach is never disappointing as a destination. It was pretty windy, foggy, and chilly, but even still we had an amazing time. We happened to arrive at low tide, so we got to walk all the way out to Haystack Rock (normally more inaccessible) and play around in the tidal pools. We discovered anemones, starfish, snails, mussels, and other critters. It was amazing! Dad’s first visit to the Pacific Coast left him pretty mesmerized, I think. Another beautiful drive followed as we made our way to the cheese factory at Tilamook (we had to bring cheese curds home for my housemates, of course!) and then back to Gresham. We took it easy that night and saw a movie because we were pretty satisfied from our seaside lunch (I had some delicious, delicious honey mustard salmon and he had yummy prawns) and tired from a long but wonderful day.
Cannon Beach! That's Haystack Rock in the background.

The weekend flew by so quickly. On Sunday, it was already time for Dad to head home. But first, we made a stop at OMSI (the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) and checked out the exhibits on genetics and “Lost Egypt” before heading to Alberta Street to have our last lunch together—at the Grilled Cheese Grill! I’ve been wanting to take Dad there since my first visit because a) the grilled cheese is PHENOMENAL and b) I have a very vivid memory of roasting chips and eating PB&J on a gutted-out school bus that happened to be on our hunting land in Adams Co. back in the day. The same memory came back to Dad while we ate, and we had a great final lunch before heading to the airport. It was hard to say goodbye, as it always is, but I’m so, so thankful that I got to spend so much quality time with him and that he made the trip despite the fact that traveling is not something he enjoys. So, thank you, Dad, and I love you lots and lots!

Dad and his sandwich on the Grilled Cheese bus.
The Tuesday after Dad’s departure, Erin and I went to the Alvin Ailey production featuring the famous piece, “Revelations.” We inherited these tickets out of luck and generosity (as we’re so often overwhelmed with here) because Karen and her husband Dave were unable to go to the show after purchasing tickets far ahead of time. So, while they were busy in Guatemala on a service trip, Erin and I basked in the beauty of the incredible production from Karen and Dave’s incredible seats at the Schnitz. It was such a wonderful show—hard to describe here, really—and because I haven’t seen all that much dance in my life, I had a wonderful experience. Once again, we found ourselves unable to properly thank or “pay back” the people who take such good care of us here.

Life continues as usual otherwise. Work has been alternating between crazy-busy and pretty calm. I coordinated an energy assistance outreach event that allowed us to give utility help to about 20 families using the County’s money! Woo! We’ve had dental vans, medical vans, legal clinics, and other such things to coordinate and facilitate, so EPH has been a happening place. Yet, I had a few slow afternoons this past week, which aren’t always a bad thing. I get a little antsy when I don’t have anything to do, but because Sandra is back and there is plenty of work on her desk, I am usually given a task pretty quickly. I spent a lot of time this past week translating case notes and looking over files in preparation for an audit that is coming up.

Anemones and a starfish in the tidal pools at the beach.
Also, I had the opportunity awhile ago to speak in front of a city council regarding a community block grant that we’re hoping to get. We have received this grant multiple times and, in fact, it funds specifically all of the work I do in the drop-in center. I had about two minutes of air time, but the words just sort of came to me. I found myself nearly choking up as I talked about my clients and their commitment to our agency. Many of the “viejitos” who frequent our center came along to the meeting just to be a presence, and I referenced their commitment (they couldn’t even understand what was being said!) when speaking to the committee. I was a bit surprised myself at how passionate and emotional my words were, especially because I hadn’t rehearsed anything ahead of time, but it made me realize that even when my job is boring, or frustrating, or extremely stressful, this community has really weasled its way into my heart and I find it very fulfilling at the same time. I’m inspired by our clients and by my coworkers, and although this isn’t a position I would want to have for many years, I think that it continues to be a good placement for me this year.

Alrighty, time for a Skype date with Cati!! I hope that you’ve all been well, that you’re having a good Lent (if that is something you’re doing), that you are happy and healthy and finding fulfillment in your own lives. I love hearing from all of you, and I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I’ve also been very moved by the current events in Japan and in Libya lately, and my hearts go out to everyone affected by the earthquake and tsunami and by emerging civil war. Sometimes, there is so much heartbreak in the world—and in my backyard—that it’s hard to stay optimistic about things. This, for me, is where faith come in… and where all of you come in. Thank you for being a light in my life! Know that I am sending love from afar. And Happy Spring!

Amanda 

PS Happy belated St. Patrick's Day! I hope you celebrated as we did-- with Irish Car Bombs, corned beef and cabbage (despite a crock pot catastrophe, it turned out alright!), and some good Irish tunes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment