Hello again,
I hope these first days of 2011 have been good to you all. Does anyone besides us still have their Christmas tree up? Ours has certainly become a serious fire hazard. It hasn’t had water in at least a week or so, and I think we really need to take it down soon (this is one of those things we talk about a lot but never actually do) before it burns down our ol’ convent. There was a suggestion to leave it up until our Martin Luther King, Jr. party (which we’ll be hosting next Saturday), but I seriously think it needs to go before then.
Anyway, it has been a good week. I found myself more exhausted than usual almost every day, which might be me getting sick—I hope not!—like some of my housemates, or perhaps it means I’m in some sort of cloudy-weather, post-holiday stupor. Either way, I gave myself a good ten hours of sleep last night and woke up today feeling pretty rested. A nice run through the woods and on the Springwater Corridor trail was a wonderful way to start my Saturday (at 1pm, mind you), particularly because it actually hasn’t really rained today. Mt. Hood isn’t out at the moment, but I’m hoping that we get a few clear days next week because I have a special guest coming and I’d like her to see the mountain! Which leads me to this extremely exciting fact: Miss Molly Henry will be arriving in Portland on Tuesday evening. She’ll be with me throughout the week until Sunday night, and I can barely contain my enthusiasm. It has been WAY too long since I’ve seen her, and I am so so so so so so so excited!!! You’ll surely hear from me again after her visit, which is bound to be a good time.
| Ready to party! |
It turned out to be a pretty good New Year’s here. After I wrote last time (following my lovely solo hike), I went home and painted my nails all sparkly. Then we ordered pizza and got ready to go to Portland Morris House’s party for a bit. After dancing around with Lizzie for awhile, I left there with Erin and Daniel and went elsewhere. We rang in 2011 at a crammed club with confetti falling around us and a Lady Gaga-Madonna mash-up playing. Interesting, but a good time. On New Year’s Day, we all took it easy. After a day of lying around, though, I was happy when Colleen asked if anyone would like to go with her to do outreach.
Colleen works for JOIN, a drop-in day shelter for Portland ’s homeless community. Daniel and Linds work there too—they’re the Immersion Coordinator and the House Director, respectively—and this is where Colleen ended up after her first placement didn’t work out. She loves her new job, and I have heard a lot of stories about her evening drives around Portland to distribute blankets, chat with the men and women sleeping on the streets, and spread the word about JOIN and other resources/shelters available for them. I miss interacting with this community, as working with Milwaukee ’s homeless was a huge part of my Marquette experience. So, Colleen and I headed out.
As I told my mother, rest assured that we were very careful. Usually Colleen goes out with one of the guys from JOIN who has many years of experience and street credit, and we were well aware that we are two women with no other protection than our pepper spray. We were cautious and didn’t approach anyone if the situation seemed possibly sketchy. Most of the people we talked to were settled in for the night, or trying to settle in. They were in sleeping bags or covered with blankets under bridges, in doorways, and on the street. We drove around, stopping when we saw someone, asking if people needed blankets or hats or socks. Colleen was already familiar with a lot of the people we encountered. It was a moving experience, though, driving through downtown Portland on a lively Saturday night. Instead of looking into bars or clubs or wondering what live band was playing a show in one of the above, we were perusing the streets for people who were going to spend the night in the cold.
We helped one guy get to an emergency warming shelter, we intimately covered another man with three blankets while he slept under a bridge (per the recommendation of another homeless man nearby who told us that he was warm enough but that “the guy over there” might need a blanket or two). We tried to talk to one woman whose camp was a total mess; there were rats scurrying in and out of the bushes, squeaking and eating the woman’s dog’s food. She seemed unfazed, and her lethargy was almost frightening. But for the most part, everyone we talked to was friendly and very kind. They told us when they needed something—and we helped if we could—and they also told us when they didn’t—and often guided us to someone who was in need. It was a really beautiful, very REAL, evening.
Interactions with people on the streets are so elemental, and there is something really refreshing about chatting with someone like that. I see now why outreach is an escape of sorts for Colleen. Sure, this work is heavy and emotional and discouraging some days, but it’s also some kind of rush. And you see the difference you’re making, however small, because it’s immediate. JOIN’s approach of sending outreach workers out on the streets is really cool because most situations where I’ve interacted with homeless people were set up so that they were the guests—at the shelter or the meal program or the drop-in center. This way, we were the guests. We tread carefully, announcing our presence as we neared someone’s camp and metaphorically “knocking” before entering their home. We were the vulnerable ones. We were the ones relying on their humility and hospitality, which they offered graciously. It was a different sort of interaction than any I’ve had, and very different from the work I do on a daily basis, so I was happy I got to be a part of it.
Colleen was at her best and brightest, which moved me just as much as anything that night. I told her this afterwards. Everyone deserves to be seen when they’re in their element. She was patient, compassionate, understanding, and graceful, and I was so impressed with her. You can tell that this work gives her life. So, another gift of the evening was certainly seeing my housemate through this lens because I feel like seeing that part of her was seeing her as complete as I’ve seen her this whole time, and even without too many words exchanged, it feels like we’re closer than we were when we left for outreach that evening.
Last night, we had a sleepover in our living room (although I think we all ended up going to bed in our actual beds after awhile). I love my housemates and I love spending time with them. We came to the realization that life will never be so “fluffy.” Yes, we’re doing hard work, but we’re also able to come home and just hang out. We make dinner, we do youth ministry or other evening work, but really…we have a lot of downtime to just enjoy each other’s company. Pretty amazing.
Alright, time to get ready to celebrate Jenna’s upcoming birthday. We’re headed to Edgefield again! I wish you all a happy Sunday and a wonderful week. Thinking of you, Peg, Ken, and Beth, in particular, and sending much love to Catherine begins her second year as an International Jesuit Volunteer in Chile … with her new community!
XOXO,
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment