Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy one week anniversary to us!


August 14th, 2010

I must say… this 9-to-5 business will take some getting used to. I’m so, so happy that it’s the weekend! I know that eventually we won’t all be coming home from work feeling completely dead, but right now it feels like I sleep, work, wash dishes, work, wash more dishes, and sleep again. If it sounds like I’m complaining, it’s probably because I am. But that’s just because this full-time “working world” thing is an adjustment.

Anyway, my first day of work at El Programa was a mix of boring and overwhelming. I was bored because only a few people came in, which apparently isn’t going to be the case most of the time. It’s slower in the summer because people are out working on the farms or aren’t so worried about things that become bigger issues in the winter. I expect that as soon as it cools off here we’ll get more calls about people needing rental or energy assistance, food stamps, and other resources. I shadowed someone on Wednesday and learned a few things, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information I’ll have to learn. There are so many local and federal resources that I need to have in my arsenal when people come in asking for assistance, and it’ll take me awhile to familiarize myself with everything we offer. Also, the Spanish was a bit overwhelming; I’m definitely rusty, although I could easily understand the staff. Some of our clients are less educated and don’t speak the cleanest Spanish, so that will take some getting used to. Hopefully I’ll bounce back to (and beyond) where my speaking abilities were at when I was in Chile. I will get lots of practice!

Bad picture-- sorry. This is our first dinner at home. So yummy!
The highlight of my first work day was my first solo client interaction with Alfonso, a guy who came in because he was unable to communicate his concerns about some maintenance issues to his apartment manager, an English speaker. I drafted a letter that Alfonso could give to his manager and then explained it before I had him sign it. He asked if I’d call the manager once more (we hadn’t gotten a hold of him before), and so I made one more phone call and was surprised when the guy actually picked up. I communicated to the manager all of the concerns Alfonso had, and then I communicated to Alfonso that the manager would fix the blinds and the leaky sink that very day. Alfonso looked at me and, a full smile spreading across his wrinkled face, exclaimed, “Muchas gracias, senorita. Estoy muy, muy, muy contento.” In other words: thank you so much, miss. I am so, so, so happy. I was amazed that this guy was THAT grateful, but it was a pretty great moment—and I was just happy I actually got to DO something!

Colleen picking blackberries on the Springwater Corridor trail.
On Thursday, work sent me to Portland for a training on OPUS, the energy assistance program I’ll be using to help keep our clients warm this winter (pretty awesome). The training was alright, but I enjoyed my lunch hour when I got to walk around downtown. I found my way to Pioneer Square and some live music, so I ate my lunch with a bunch of other working Portlanders. After the training, it was only 3:30 so I found a bench in the hip Pearl District of downtown and had a nice long chat with my dear Molly, which was rejuvenating. I then made my way to what will surely be my local heaven and haven, Powell books. Look it up online: it’s massive! I can’t wait to take some of you there when you visit. I read some good poetry until Lizzie arrived, at which point we spent a little time catching up and talking about our communities and our workplaces. She had to get back home for a spirituality night, so I found my way to the subway (called the Max here) and got home at about 8. After dinner and some reading, I was definitely ready for bed.

Racing beds down Main Street in Gresham. I can't explain this.
Friday was a staff meeting and a boring afternoon, but I liked getting to meet more of the staff and I enjoyed my sunny lunch hour—we’re having a bit of a heat wave here. After work, I came home and read for awhile, which was definitely relaxing. We walked around Gresham a bit because there’s a big Old Car Show happening this weekend, and we found ourselves watching bed races—yes, people pushed bed frames on wheels down the street… very interesting. Gresham is a cute place, but I feel like it’s a lot smaller than it is because we live in the historic downtown district and everything just screams quaint, charming, and small-town USA. I’m writing at the moment from Café Delirium, or Café D as we JV’s call it, and I think this will be my escape here in town. I will be making a point to get away to the city throughout the year though. There are a lot of exciting things to do in Portland and I want to take advantage of the fact that we’re so close.

Last night, we drove out to the country, parked alongside a field, and spread out on blankets to look up at the sky and catch some of the meteor shower happening this week. It was lovely and a good bonding experience. Tonight we have Mass at St. Henry’s and then a Knights of Columbus steak dinner, which I think we’re attending for free. Portland Mac House (Lizzie’s JV house in Portland) is having a little party tonight, so we’ll be hitting that up later on. So far, I’ve been pretty lazy this weekend, but I enjoyed chatting with my family this morning, especially Britt as she drove to Winona. I’m so excited for her to go to Spain soon (and very excited to visit her!) and it was wonderful to catch up on what’s been happening at home. You’re all in my thoughts often.

I also can't explain the Cher workout VHS in our house...
Things are going well here. We’re silly. We have no money. I like the sun. I’m happy it’s Saturday. And that is all for now!

Love,

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Our dear Amanda, I love your new blog! It sounds like your new life adventure will bring many challenges & blessings. It's all about using your gifts. I am thinking of you often. Although you are far away, I know you are right where God needs you right now. Take good care!
    Love, Aunt Vic

    ReplyDelete